Sunday, October 23, 2005

No title fits this

So. This is not another one of those weird Alex's Life days. It's not at all amusing, but it's true. There's no other way than to just spit it out and state what happened. If you're not a fan of bad things happening, then I'd advise against reading this. Also, if it seems like I'm whining, I truely don't mean to, it's just really hard not to.

So, on with the show. Saturday morning, I was planning to go running with my friend Kelly around Hartwood Acres. If you remember, it was rainy and shitty out yesterday. It was damp and slippery, and all the leaves falling off the trees just makes it worse, especially when you're going around bends.

Well, I was on my merry way, singing along to the radio, driving along Butler Plank Rd, when I noticed that I was too close to the guard rail. I did the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. I jerked the wheel. I can't tell you how many times my parents have told me that jerking the wheel is the absolute worst thing you could do, just easily move the wheel over. Well, if you jerk the wheel, it's slippery out and you're going around a bend, you will lose control of your car. I did. My car went headfirst into a telephone pole. The hood is bent, the airbags popped, the front grate fell off; I totaled my car.

Right after I jerked the wheel I knew it was coming. I started screaming like there was no tomorrow, and I could see that damn solid telephone pole straight in front of me, and knew I couldn't get away. It's a horrible feeling knowing that you're going into something that could hurt you really bad; you know the outcome when wood is against metal, and wood always wins. After the initial hit, I didn't feel anything. I think I went into shock. The impact of the crash didn't hurt at all, neither did the seatbelt when it dug into my neck and left a burn. I've heard that the airbags can do some serious damage, but I didn't feel anything. The first thing I actually felt is, "Get the hell out of here!" I ran out, and though it was raining and about 50 degrees, I wasn't cold...or feel the wetness.

It was the worst day of my life. It stunk like bloody hell in there. All the smoke from my ruined engine, the airbags, everything was just surreal. I could say that it was like a movie, but it wasn't. I jumped out of that car like I was on fire, and this man who was working on the Glenshaw Vally Presbyterian Church across the street from where I wrecked, ran over and asked if I was ok. I was crying and freaking out, wondering what in God's name my father was going to do to me, considering how I haven't had my licence for even a year and I've hit someone's car in my school's parking lot in our SUV and totaled my own car. My life was over. A very nice lady also pulled over, while I was calling my dad and offered to call the police for me. Both the lady and the carpender tried to console me and told me that at least I was okay, and that my dad would be happy that I was alive rather than my car(which technically is his car because he paid for it) was totaled.

We got one of those neon orange triangles out of my emergency equipment thing in my trunk to tell people to watch out. Of course, they slowed down and stared at me until I glared back so they jerked their heads away and pretended they weren't staring. Accidents bring out the best people and the biggest jagg-offs.

The police came, and were very nice to me, asked what happened, asked if I was okay. Even though I said I was fine, they called the medics just to be safe. They grabbed my licence and my insurance card (thank God I decided to run back to my room and grab my wallet that day).

My dad finally showed up about 15 minutes after the initial accident, because he was waiting for my neighbor, who is a mechanic to get ready so he could check out the car. It was futile, because my car is dead. I sufficiently killed it. Which my sister says is a good thing because she dispised that car anyways, and someone had to do it.

All in all though, I was incredibly lucky. I wasn't hurt at all, neither was anyone else, excepting the considerable crack I put in the telephone pole. It was very close too. If any of you have driven down Butler Plank, you know where the guardrail stops, there's a telephone pole and...the creek. If I hadn't hit the pole, I would have been in the creek, and possibly flipped over...and we don't need to go into the 'what ifs'.

All I know is that I'm out of a car, but I'm alive. I'd rather be out of a car and just shocked than hurt. I wish I could say that this has been a near-death experience, which it has, which would make me a better person and realize that I need to live life at it's fullest, but I don' t think it has. I'm just the same old Alex and I don't think I've changed at all. But I'm glad I'm not dead.

4 comments:

carinne said...

At least you're OK.

Anonymous said...

alex im so glad ur okay! it must have been scary... but all that matters is that u wernt hurt. ~Kelly

Park Vineyards said...

Definetely glad you're ok, baby. But it's a learning experience. Look at it this way, you got your scary accident out of that way, and you have learned from it. Now, we can look back and laugh.

I love you, Uncle Michael

Anonymous said...

brilliant. that sucks though, love. glad you're ok..