Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Powderpuff, baby!

Well, it's that time of year again, ladies and gents. Powderpuff football! In last years fiasco, the Juniors got their asses handed to them when they lost to the Seniors 27-zippo. This year, us Juniors swear that it'll be different, I mean, can we can't out-do last year's Juniors...The only thing is, for as long as we can remember, all the Juniors swear that this year will be the year that changes things. This year will be the year that the Juniors kick the crap out of the Seniors, rather than the other way around. Last year, I sat in Spanish listening to all the Juniors brag about how good they are and how they're going to win, and we already mentioned the end of that game....But the point is, everyone's saying the same thing this year. All of my friends swear that we will end the curse, and we'll win, and I can't pretend that I don't say that, because it's all part of the game.

So, anyways. Today was the first practice. There are three practices for two hours. Do you expect us to be any good? I figure the Seniors are always better because they got three more practices than the Juniors...Even if it was a year ago. So I decided that I should be a receiver. Can I catch you ask? On a good day. Can I throw? God, NO! Any wonder I didn't try out for quarterback? I realize I'm fast...So if by some un-Godly chance the ball gets thrown to me, and , even more unlikely, I catch it, chances are I can out-run most people. It's the catching stuff that gets me. We learned the Hitch, Slant, and, well, I can't remember the other one, but it's the one when you fake down the sideline and I'm pretty sure it starts with 'F.' The Hitch and Slant I can do, but the other one? Oh, man. We were practicing them (along with which side you had to go on...That was confusing if anything ever was), and one of our coaches (all the Junior football players took it upon themselves to try to teach us), Marcus, decided that I should do the long one just so he could throw the ball down field to hit one of his friends. That was great. But our coaches were really nice. Todd told everyone they did good, even those who sucked *cough, me cough*, and gave a genuine effort to teach us the right thing. Marcus just kind of supported him and was a laugh. I told Marcus that I was not a quarterback after my attempt at throwing the ball back at Todd and all he said was, "I think everyone has figured that out by now." Just smile and nod...

Then we tackled defense. Ha! That was great. I am not someone who can tackle at will. I am not someone who can even try to stay with someone. It just doesn't work. That's all I need to say about defense. I'm an offender and that's that.

Actually, the most fun was when they threw the ball down the field and everyone had to try and get the ball. It always ends up in a huge freaking pile-up, when everyone just jumps on each other, really. Hence the name "Tackle the man." But I got there first, but being a munchkin, I sorta got picked up...And someone ran off with it. I was also the one at the bottom of the pile, getting there first. That was quite fun, let me tell you. It was sort of a negative.

But maybe everyone else is good. We're supposed to get equal time, but somehow the groups got put into 'popular' and 'not.' I was part of 'not.' Laz, the actual coach, said that we're all supposed to get equal time but when there's 20 receivers alone, it's just not going to happen. If I go in once, I'll be one happy camper. Someone said that there already was a list made up, and I'm sure I'm not one of them. It was made before the practice, and this just reinforced it. I promise though, I don't mean to whine. If you think I joined up because I was actually good, you're sadly mistaken. I suck and I know it. I'm just there for a good time.

But if you're bored on Monday the 21st, come out and watch us. We normally get a pretty packed house, will all the guys just wanting to watch girls play football and all the girls trying to see the Seniors get their asses whipped. Plus all the parents. But if you come, bring some dollars 'cause it costs something because all the money goes to Breast Cancer. So it's for a good cause. And if you do decide coming is the thing to do, make sure you bring a sign that is neon-pink with orange letters screaming, "ALEX PARK IS A BEAST!" Just kidding, but keep it in mind....lol.

Make sure you support the JUNIORS of '07 because we're great.

And some chocolate covered pretzels are calling my name so I'll give you another interesting story some other day!

P.S. If you know anything at football and are willing to coach a short, bad-catching Junior, leave a comment. Or just leave your support. Comments are always appreciated!

No comments: