Monday, May 16, 2011

Alma, our Alma Mater




Get ready world: I am officially a West Virginia University graduate!

I had a very long and very interesting post all typed up this morning, but I saved it and I don't think blogs allow you to save posts and then go to a different page. After all that wasted effort, I really don't have much of a desire to re-type my lengthy interpretation of my graduation.

So I'll leave it to your imagination: thousands of young minds eagerly waiting for their turn to receive that hard-earned diploma, listening to the passion-filled speakers about our burgeoning futures, the charge to WVU's newest alumni to work earnestly, proud faculty and family dabbing their eyes as they see such an impressive class leaving their beloved school. The graduates seemed to glow from within...

In reality, it was long and composed mostly of the reading of every name, which may not seem like a lot, but in the largest college in the university, it took some time. The speakers, while very eloquent, were the college dean and an alumnus from 2005. To put it in perspective, last year the speaker was Bill Clinton. We're an impressive class, my ass. Most graduates spent the time texting and not listening. 90% of graduates were desperately hungover. Families started a cheering competition in which the loudest one just let their graduate know they were there. Cow bells were rung. It could have been worse, as the graduate sitting next to me pointed out, they could be playing vuvzelas. Well done not playing into the stereotype, West Virginia, well done. The crowd was so dense, I waved vigorously to a group of people who screamed out my name, hoping it wasn't some other graduates family who happens to have my name.

Honestly, it was a nice ceremony. The dean did a good job of speaking; keeping it short and sweet to give enough time to read the names. The charge to the alumni was fabulous; he indeed spoke poignantly and passionately. When I stood to change my tassel over to the left and was officially awarded my degree was the only time I was near tears and had to furiously blink them back to avoid mascara-filled disaster. Afterward, I met my family and friends at the Jerry West statue, which was a poor idea in itself. The statue was the only place I knew at the Coliseum. As it turns out, it's also the only place everyone knows at the Coliseum. I win. Pictures, pictures, pictures, hugs, hugs, hugs, congrats, congrats, congrats, and my career at West Virginia is over.

Relief? Sadness? Excitement? Let's go with an unfortunate conflicting hodge-podge of all three.

But the best was yet to come! I badgered, whined, pleaded, and bargained until I convinced a whopping 15 family members to go, including my boyfriend, my sister and her boyfriend, who had to drive ten hours in a day to get there and get home to Jerz for work today. I owe them. My family, as we were not staying in Morgantown for the day could not be bothered with the amount of traffic associated with graduation, decided to tailgate in the Coliseum one last time while we waited. We had fold-up chairs, cheese, crackers, pretzels, chips, and the most important ingredient: six bottles of wine, which we drank out of plastic goblets. We keep it classy. It was actually my favorite part of the day, just hanging out and relaxing; it was a nice change from the stress of the previous two days. I had a blast with my family; we know how to have fun.

All in all, it was a great graduation. The ceremony coupled with the celebratory shenanigans after (and a brief reprieve from the continuous rain plaguing this part of the country for what feels like forever) was the perfect way to say good-bye to my four years of relative independence.

Let's give a rah for West Virginia
And let us pledge her anew,
Others may be black or crimson,
but for us it's Gold and Blue.
Let all our troubles be forgotten,
Let college spirit rule,
We'll join and give our loyal efforts
For the good of our old school.

It's West Virginia, It's West Virginia
The Pride of every Mountaineer.
Come on you old grads, join with us young lads,
It's West Virginia now we cheer!
Now is the time, boys, to make a big noise
No matter what the people say,
For there is naught to fear; the gang's all here,
So hail to West Virginia, hail!
-"Hail West Virginia"

1 comment:

carinne said...

had a blast barson!!!